You may remember Swiss flickr user Afghtiga as the guy who collects various design icons in the form of consumer electronics and catalogs them with beautiful photographs. Well he also has an equisitely detailed scale-model collection featuring Le Mans cars from the 60′s and 70′s which he has ben photographing as well.
I used to do a fair amount of model building as a kid but I never got anywhere near this level of detail. I wonder if he build them himself or if these are just those super-expensive ones you’d see pre-built at model shops. Either way, love the shots.
Here’s the last bit of the end of the year playlists, I’m sure I missed some key players but getting all 60 tracks together felt great. I’d love to see your lists, feel free to post them in the comment section.
60. ADR – Jupiter Rising
59. Samiyam – Pressure
58. The Miracles Club – A New Love
57. Pure X – Twisted Mirror
56. Solar Bears – Cub (Keep Shelly in Athens remix)
55. Silk Flowers – Columns
54. Le Révélateur – Bleu Nuit
53. Light Asylum – Dark Allies
52. Gold Zebra – Love, French, Better
51. Geotic – Beaming Husband
Turn down the lights, fire up the projector and light a candle if that’s your style…here’s my picks for the Top 15 Music Videos Of 2011. I tried to encompass a lot of image styles and music in this list. There’s all types of directors and production scales ranging from Canon 7D equipped bare bones budgets to freaking Michel Gondry shooting stop motion on a Bolex (or so I read). I think that’s what’s crazy and great about being a director and designer in this time. If you want to, you have access to pretty much everything (visually speaking) if you put time into it. Hopefully some directors, DPs and photographers are inspired by this, it was a good year for the moving image and I suspect it to only get better and more creative in 2012. Hope you all dig the list and if you make it through each video all the way through, no skipping…you can rule out any form of attention deficit disorder.
I haven’t listed any of these in a rank, only because they’re all good at specific things. However, if I had to pick one favorite, it’d be Eric Epstein’s magically haunting work for Memory Tapes.
Came across Stiknord recently and have been obsessed every since. It’s a beautiful collection of Nordic cultural artifacts and photography. The project come from the Kolding School of Design, their own description of the site follows.
The idea behind this blog was to produce a digital mood board to be used as a part of an on going project at Kolding School of Design. By building a collection of texts and imagery dedicated to the aesthetics of the North, we want to ease the often repetitive, time and money consuming process of constructing tactile inspirational material for each and every project.
Here it is, I hope you all like it, as always any feedback is great, I know I might be missing your favorite song but maybe you’ll enjoy this listen, thanks again. Tomorrow i’ll do Honorable Mentions.
25. The Drums – Money
24. ASAP Rocky – Wassup (Prod. By Clams Casino)
23. Walls – Sunporch Reprise
22. Austra – Lose It
21. Deepchord – Balm
20. Cut Copy – Blink and You’ll Miss A Revolution (Tornado Wallace Remix)
19. Sepalcure – Pencil Pimp
18. Peaking Lights – Amazing and Wonderful
17. High Wolf – Free Your Energy Field
16. The Field – Is This Power
15. Beirut – Port Of Call
14. Holy Other – Yr Love
13. Keep Shelly in Athens – DIY
12. Hype Williams – RIse Up
11. Warm Ghost – Myths on Rotting Ships
10. James Blake – The Wilhelm Scream
9. Benoit & Sergio – Boy Trouble
8. Toro Y Moi – I Can Get Love
7. Neon Indian – Polish Girl
6. M83 – Midnight City
5. Real Estate – Green Aisle
4. Gang Gang Dance – Glass Jar
3. Belong – Perfect Life
2. Gotye – Somebody that I used to know
1. John Maus – Streetlight
“Svpply helps you find the products you love, from the people and stores you find interesting.”
When I read that it sounded pretty appealing, then I noticed some of my co-workers using it and I dug in deeper and really enjoyed it since I want to bring in more product reviews onto the site next year, especially well designed ones.
Some people MIGHT write it off as “well this is how rich people shop” but a lot of this stuff is in a good price range plus it helps you pick something worth saving your money for.
I had a lot of fun making this years Top 50 songs of 2011, before you say anything lets all agree to disagree, these songs are all songs that are my go to for when I work, DJ, or share on mixtapes, they might not match up with ever other blogs lists which is a damn shame, oh well :) enjoy!
50. Sun Glitters – The Wind Caresses Her Hair
49. Poolside – Harvest Moon
48. Loscil – Fromme
47. Kolombo – Waiting For
46. Trouble Books & Mark McGuire – The Golden Waste
45. Dolphins Into The Future – On The HIgh Seas
44. Ford & Lopatin – Channel Pressure (Instrumental Version)
43. Dirty Beaches – Speedway King
42. Radiohead – Feral
41. Gatto Fritto – Hex
40. Implodes – Oxblood
39. Craft Spells – You Should Close The Door
38. Midnight Televison – All Night
37. Braille – Riverbed
36. Active Child – Playing House (Feat. How To Dress Well)
35. Tiger & Woods – Love In Cambodgia
34. Oneohtrix Point Never – Up
33. Tim Hecker – Hatred of Music I
32. Selebrities – Time
31. Nacho Patrol – Stratus Chant (Live @ Paradiso 2010)
30. Bibio – Mind Bokeh
29. Daphni – Mapfumo
28. Soft Metals – Psychic Driving
27. Washed Out – Eyes Be Closed
26. Machinedrum – Listen 2 Me
Happy to announce Tycho will be playing at XOYO thanks to Songkick and the London fans for helping out and getting the band there.
We wanted to offer 2 pairs of tickets to the readers of the blog that live in London, all you need to do is let us know what Tycho song you’d like played as an encore and post it below, please include your email so we can contact you, thanks and see you Wednesday.