Photographer Charlie Crane took a trip to North Korea and captured these striking photographs:
This series is taken from a larger body of work in Pyongyang, the capital city of North Korea.
Although not commonly thought of as a holiday destination all these photographs have been taken at tourist sites throughout the city.
It took over a year to get permission to go in with my camera and nothing quite prepares you for what awaits. I was not allowed to take my mobile phone past customs and was met by two guides who were to accompany me at all times throughout my trip.
It’s a fascinating glimpse into a place unknown to much of the world, and the series makes for an interesting counterpart to the previous post on North Korean propaganda posters.
This set of North Korean propaganda posters was originally posted on Reddit today but the images were soon removed. I’ve mirrored them here and you can also find alternate mirrors along with translations at the original Reddit article. Pretty incredible these images made it to the outside world and the goat one seems so friendly. Here are the translations in case the original goes down:
· “When provoking a war of aggression, we will hit back, beginning with the US!”
· “Though the dog barks, the procession moves on!”
· “Death to US imperialists, our sworn enemy!”
· “Prevention and more prevention. Let’s fully establish a veterinary system for the prevention of epidemics!”
· “Let’s drive the US imperialists out and reunite the fatherland!”
· “Let’s extensively raise goats in all families!”
· “The US is truly an Axis of Evil.”
· “When we say we will, we will. We do not talk idly!”
· “Wicked Man.”
· “Do not forget the US imperialist wolves!”